Sunday, June 13, 2010

Where's My Water-Proof Mascara?

A recount of today's events from Randi's perspective:

Of all the days to forget water-proof mascara... what an overjoyed mess I've been today!

This morning, Chris led the congregation in worship as he played guitar and sang, something he's done countless times. But this morning was different -- I was watching my husband, the love of my life and best friend, now as the music pastor of our new church. Following him in preaching was David. I've listened to him teach a thousand times it seems since we were in high school Bible study together. But I couldn't help but see him in a new light, too, as I listened to him preach now as the pastor of our new church. Shoulder-to-shoulder I stood with my best friend Laura as we held hands and dabbed our eyes, completely overcome with pride in our husbands and amazement of how God is setting His plans into motion. Oh, how I love my friend. After the service, they had our team stand in front of the church to recognize us all and allow for everyone to come and greet us. The handshakes, hugs, words of wisdom and teary-eyed well-wishes were enough to make a heart swell ten times its size. I've never felt more supported in my life.

This evening, our guys were honored as they were ordained by our church. Our pastor, Robert, explained that ordination is the church's formal recognition of God's calling for Chris and David to do ministry. (As a side note, he also explained that we're ALL ordained for ministry.) The ordination involved the guys being examined individually by Robert and then together by all of the deacons. They were then brought before the congregation who was given a vote to ordain, of which they voted yes.

There were a few testimonies given on behalf of Chris and David. The word used over and over again to describe each of them was "integrity", which is so evident to Laura and me. Then the congregation was invited to come forth and pray for us - the guys seated in front of the congregation and us wives standing behind them. Our present and past college students came first, followed by family and close friends, then the deacons and finally the pastoral team. The prayers offered up on our behalf were things our team has prayed since we began dreaming of a ministry in Fort Collins. It was so affirming to hear our prayers echoed by such wise, Godly people. I admit I opened my eyes and peaked a few times. I just wanted to soak it all in. We were surrounded by our own personal heroes of faith.

A reception was held in our honor following the ordination service. The room was packed! It was such a sweet time that we'll never forget.

We're so grateful for our church family. Their influence has played a significant role in who we are and what we do. We're so appreciative of all that Colonial Hills has done for our families and plan to take anyone who is willing to Fort Collins with us. Thanks to all of our family and close friends who came to celebrate with us on our big day!

No comments:

Post a Comment